Careers Resources and downloads
This page lists additional resources you may find useful, including websites and downloads (which can be found in the "downloads" area at the bottom of this page).
Resources and external websites
There are many resources available to aid in the planning and implementation of careers:
- NHS Medical Careers
- Royal Colleges
- BMJ Careers
- NHS Careers
- Information for Scotland
- Information for Wales
- Information for Northern Ireland
The KSS GP and Dental websites also have useful information for those following relevant career paths.
The interactive medical careers map
This is a useful tool illustrating the links between different stages in the medical careers pathway. It has been produced by the Wales Deanery but is relevant and available to all.Interactive medical careers map
General Career Planning
- Hopson, B and Scally, M. (2000). Build Your Own Rainbow: Workbook for Career and Life Management. London: Kogan Page(This can also be used a self-help guide by trainees who want more help with stage 1.)
Medical Career Guides
- Elton, C. and Reid, J. (2010) The ROADS to success – a practical approach to career management for medical students, junior doctors (and their supervisors). London: Postgraduate Deanery for KSS
- Chambers, R, Mohanna, K and Field, S (2000). Opportunities and options in medical careers. Oxon. Radcliffe Medical Press
- MacDonald, R and Hadridge, P. (2003). My beautiful career. London BMJ Publishing Group.
- Eccles S. and Sanders S (2009). So you want to be a brain surgeon? Oxford: Oxford University Press, third edition. This book probably has the most detailed description of different UK career options for doctors.
- Royal College of Physicians of London (2002). Careers Information Handbook for Trainees. London: Royal College of Physicians
- UK Medical Careers - the newly launched website which has materials and resources as well as comprehensive specialty overviews
- UKFPO - For information on how to apply to the Foundation Programme, what to expect during your training, how assessments work, how to get the most out of your Foundation Learning Portfolio and what resources are available to help you decide on your future career
- NHS careers - provides information about career options, case studies and useful links.
- BMJ careers - many jobs and training posts are advertised here and the site also offers careers advice and information and careers fairs.
- Doctors.net - provides information on job opportunities and other services.
- MMC - the Modernising Medical Careers site provides updates on the proposed changes and you can sign up for e-updates.
- HSJ - Health Service Journal provides information on jobs and other items of interest.
- COPMeD - the Conference of Postgraduate Deans, which act as a focal point for postgraduate medical and dental education.
- GMC - General Medical Council - an independent statutory body
- info4docs - includes a wide variety of advice for doctors
- Public Register of NHS Foundation Trusts